Tooth-Colored Fillings – Richardson, TX
Choose a Metal-Free Option
Although it’s preventable, tooth decay is the biggest threat to your oral health. If your dentist has recently found one, you’re not alone. In fact, it’s estimated at least 92% of adults have had a cavity in a permanent tooth. Don’t worry, you won’t need a dark metal filling to treat it. Instead, you can enjoy a solution that blends in with your smile using tooth-colored fillings in Richardson.
3 Reasons to Choose Dr. Shwarts
- Metal and Mercury-Free.
- Looks Natural.
What is a Tooth-Colored Filling?
Traditionally, cavities are treated with an amalgam filling, which consists of a mixture of metals. They have held a commonplace in dentistry because they are durable and affordable; however, they also have several disadvantages.
Since they contain mercury, it’s natural to be concerned about their long-term safety despite the American Dental Association supporting their use. They also have a dark appearance, which can cause an eyesore when you smile. Over time, your tooth may also darken.
A tooth-colored filling is different because it’s completely metal-free. Instead, it’s made from a composite resin material that’s customized to match your enamel. This gives you a biocompatible solution that looks natural.
What are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are a preferred choice because they provide a variety of benefits that aren’t possible using amalgam restorations, including:
- Biocompatible: Perfect if you have metal sensitivities. There’s also no mercury exposure.
- Natural-Looking: Customized to match the color of your enamel.
- Improves Oral Health: Treats your cavity and strengthens your tooth because wedges aren’t needed to support the filling.
- Long-Lasting: Durable to last for several years.
- Affordable: Many dental insurance carriers pay a portion of their cost.
How are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
The process to receive a tooth-colored filling is a bit different than when having an amalgam one placed. After any areas of decay are removed, a weak acid is applied to your tooth to open the pores in your enamel and dentin. Dr. Shwarts rinses your tooth before applying the perfectly shaded resin. It’s sculpted into the ideal shape before a special light is used to quickly harden it. Dr. Shwarts will smooth and polish your tooth, so you can walk out of our office with a beautiful smile.
How Do I Care for a Tooth-Colored Filling?
Although composite resin fillings aren’t made from metal, they can last for a decade or longer with the right aftercare. To ensure it lasts, it’s best to:
- Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss every night before going to bed.
- Avoid eating sticky or overly hard foods.
- Avoid using the teeth as tools, such as to open packages.
- Don’t chew on inedible objects, like pens or your fingernails.
- Avoid any stain-causing foods or drinks.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for a cleaning and checkup.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
If you have a cavity in Richardson, don’t let a dark filling blemish your smile. Choose a natural-looking option with tooth-colored fillings. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation.