Dear Shwarts Family Dentistry Family,
We have been closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19. We have been following the CDC, ADA (American Dental Association), and TDA (Texas Dental Association) guidelines that have been sent out to all practicing dentists. Late yesterday, the ADA recommended dental offices switch to emergency only care. We will be following the ADA's recommendation. What exactly does this mean? As of March 18, 2020, all cleaning and routine treatments that were scheduled for the next 3 weeks will be rescheduled (we will continue to follow recommendations if we need to reschedule later appointments). If you are in pain, please do not hesitate to call the office at 972-437-6035 or Dr. Shwarts's cell phone at 214-734-1329. Dr. Shwarts lives close by and can usually arrive at the office faster than most of our patients! If you haven't already received a phone call to reschedule your appointment, you will shortly. Feel free to call our office as well. The staff will remain at the office during normal business hours working on other tasks that need to be completed.
Health and safety of our patients and staff is always our number one priority. In January, our office renewed our yearly OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) policies. This was completed with both an in person and online training, which reviewed policies and gave recommended improvements. We were recommended to uphold the already implemented Universal Precautions standard protocol, and in addition, we found ways to improve. Per OSHA guidelines, Shwarts Family Dentistry will continue to do the following:
- Hand washing and sanitizer have always been an important part of our office and will continue to be as well (hand sanitizer can be found at multiple points in our office for patient use as well)
- Recommended personal protective equipment is worn by each clinical staff member while in treatment
- After every patient leaves a treatment room, the room is disinfected and cleaned (which we have been assured from the manufacturer will kill even stronger viruses then the one we are currently dealing with)
- Instruments are sterilized after each patient. This machine is checked weekly to ensure proper sterilization
- Disinfectant spray and wipes are used in all areas in the office, not just treatment rooms. These areas include, but are not limited to, the waiting room, the bathroom, door handles, reception area, and counter tops
- For the past few weeks, we have screened patients and visitors for symptoms of acute respiratory illness (e.g. fever, cough, difficulty breathing) before entering the office, as well as inquired about traveling out of the country
- Requiring sick employees to stay home (as well as to stay home if someone in their household is sick)
- Staying up-to-date with CDC, ADA, and TDA guidelines and recommendations during the pandemic
- We will continue updating you on this ever changing situation through social media and our website (by phone for individual cases)
The extra precaution our office is taking, rescheduling all cleaning and routine treatments, is for the safety and health of everyone, and we appreciate your cooperation and patience at this time. We understand this is a challenging and confusing time for the world right now. Shwarts Family Dentistry will continue to be here for you with any questions or concerns you might have. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us. You are all family to us, and as always, we appreciate your loyalty. We hope to see you all very soon.
Dr. Shwarts, Beverly, Jenna, and Jackie